Make a New Post

Monday, January 09, 2006

Ipod Integration is Not Innovation

Chrysler Group and Apple announce iPod integration. I am really trying to read between the lines here. I haven't looked up how they're doing as a company (Chrysler), but I do know the time it takes to build a new feature in a car is a longtime (that's my technical answer). I heard it's like 36 months or something...

I guess it seems there should be a better way than hardwiring the most popular gadget at the time into the car. With open standards you would think they'd be able to have something connect directly from any device into the car, using Java or Bluetooth or whatever.

We should be sticking with standards, lest we be stuck with another Microsoft on our hands. That is why I'm a proponent of Google, even though I worry a lot about them not being as 'good' as they said during their IPO.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

someday 30 years from now, someone will look at a built-in iPod connector in a Chrysler-whatever and think the exact same thing we think now about 8-track tapes.

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger . said...

And that is why they need to focus on open standards. Also they're all trying to leverage the Ipod brand and that's dangerous too. What if Apple suddenly gets embroiled in a scandal? Then what will all these 16 other automakers do?

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home